<< Curriculum Materials
AAC activities and games to learn a year of core (first 6 mos)
* Digital PDF Download. You will be provided a download link at completion of purchase.
If you are implementing Core Word teaching for your AAC users, here are activities to teach AAC users to use core vocabulary effectively. The words used are from the PrAACticalAAC blog's Year of Core Words.
- There is some background discussion of core vocabulary, prompting methods, and Aided Language Stimulation.
- There are sets of Tic-Tac-Toe (played like BINGO but with fewer spaces) game cards, which use each month’s vocabulary.
- There are 5 different boards for each month, January through June, and a set of the symbols to use for calling cards.
- There is a set of 36 picture cards to use to play Go-Fish and Memory type games. Vocabulary used for playing card games is suggested, as well as vocabulary that can be used to describe some of the cards while asking for them or telling about a match.
- There are 2 starter communication boards for the group. They are large, so that vocabulary can be added to them throughout the year, and can be displayed in the room or on the table.
- There are 3 interactive scenarios for students to participate in.
- Burger Barn is a role playing context simulation in which students participate & communicate.
- A similar situation is provided with an ice cream parlor.
In the third activity students choose car parts and assemble their own car. They assemble the car pieces and then exchange them for a car playing piece to use on the “raceway.” Students take turns racing to the finish (spinner provided) while asking to take turns, comment on their movement, etc.
Suggestions are provided for facilitating and modeling words and phrases.
- For more Activities for a Year of Core, try this one, A Year of Core-Nature Hike and activities for the 2nd half of the year
- If you need communication boards featuring core words, I have some HERE
- For my bundle of interactive books featuring core vocabulary look HERE
Total Pages 120 pages
Back to top